What does detox mean to you? Do you know how to detox the body? Quitting alcohol for a month? Saying no to sugar? Going to a day spa? Most ‘detox’ goals (apart from the latter) seem almost impossible to maintain.
Consistently making the right dietary choices and taking nutritional supplements can take time to learn. Setting a goal to give up alcohol for a month almost certainly leads to a binge night at the end of that month, if not before.
We need to teach ourselves healthy behaviours for a longer period to ingrain them into our lifestyle.
According to Phillippa Lally, a health psychology researcher at University College London, on average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behaviour becomes automatic. The length of time to form the new habit can depend on what it is and the circumstances surrounding that new habit. In Lally’s study, it took anywhere from 18 days to 254 days for people to form a new habit.
Before starting with some pretty intense detox changes, try implementing smaller changes first.
So, what are some detox habits we can learn over the next few months? Check them out below.
- Drink water from a glass bottle. This is probably the easiest detox change you can make. Plastic water bottles can release small amounts of chemicals into the water, which you then ingest. Do you know how much water you should be drinking daily? Read our blog here.
- Eat more greens. The darker the vegetable the better, broccoli, kale, spinach. Try to have a serving of dark green vegetables with every meal. Having a smoothie for breakfast? Add a handful of spinach. Steam some broccoli to go with your dinner or snack on healthy home-made kale chips. Each of these options are easy enough to incorporate into your meals to begin to form a healthy detox habit.
- Take a daily probiotic. The easiest way to form a habit with taking any probiotics or nutritional supplements is to do it at the same time every day. The morning is a great time to take your daily probiotic just before breakfast or while you are waiting for the kettle to boil.
- Second to point four, try taking your nutritional supplements and probiotics with our Super Fruits and Greens antioxidant powder. It dissolves in water and supports detoxification and digestion! Read all about our Super Fruits and Greens here.
- Take an hour to yourself every day to de stress. This can be a time to practice gratitude and appreciation for the things in your life. Or it could be a time for meditation, read a book or turn your phone off. De stressing after a long day can help to detox the body. Studies have shown that the enzymes that break down fats and detoxify the body, are negatively impacted by stress. Stress can also increase your toxin burden by increasing your desire for high fat, high sugar foods.
Try any or all of the above detox habits for at least two months and you’ll probably find that they’ll no longer be a chore but a part of your lifestyle!