Inflammation is the process in which your immune system releases the white blood cells into the blood of affected tissues to fight off infection.
There are two types of inflammation:
- Acute Inflammation. This type of inflammation is good for the body as it helps to protect us against viruses, bacteria etc. It generally only lasts a few days before the body recovers.
- Chronic Inflammation. This is a much more serious inflammation that can last months or even years. Factors that may contribute to this level of inflammation within the body include, environmental toxins, excess weight, and your overall stress levels.
When your body is repeatedly exposed to the above factors you can begin to develop changes within your cells. Chronic inflammation can lead to diseases such as cancer, ALS, heart disease, diabetes, depression and weight gain. You may also be susceptible to auto immune diseases such as thyroiditis and arthritis.
Inflammation can also affect your energy levels…
Mitochondria are responsible for producing the energy your cells need to function. Inflammation affects the delicate mitochondria structures within your body. This results in a lower level of functionality and energy.
Identifying and reducing inflammation is clearly extremely important to help function at optimum levels and live a long and healthy life.
What can you do to reduce inflammation in the body?
Blood tests will be able to help identify the inflammation levels in your body. Testing and retesting is essential to help determine inflammation results.
Leading a healthy active lifestyle is of course a step in the right direction to reducing inflammation but what can you do specifically?
- Improve your Gut Health!
As we mentioned in a previous blog here, https://trilogynutrition.com.au/why-is-gut-health-so-important/, your gut is also largely responsible for your body’s digestive and immune system. The stomach is like a second brain which can affect your mood and energy levels. To maintain good gut health, it’s important to take daily supplements that are geared up to promote good bacteria in your stomach.
Our Super Fruits and Greens Formula is a powder formula that dissolves in water. It is a daily source of vitamins and minerals with the antioxidant power of 20+ servings of fruit and vegetables. An awesome way to ensure your body is getting its daily nutritional needs for optimal detoxification and digestion.
- Hydrate daily. Read our blog here to find out how much water you should be drinking!! https://trilogynutrition.com.au/how-much-water-should-you-drink-every-day/
- Get 8 hours of sleep…every night! Lack of sleep can adversely affect your immune system! Studies have shown that people who do not get enough sleep are more susceptible to viruses and common colds. When you sleep your immune system releases proteins called cytokines, some of which help promote sleep. Sleep deprivation can reduce your production of these protective cytokines.
- Reduce Stress. When you stress, your body produces greater levels of the stresshormone cortisol. This is great if your body is fighting off a cold as cortisol can help to boost your immune system. However over longer periods of time, the body can get used to the higher levels of cortisol which can encourage inflammation.
Are you stressed? Do you take zinc supplements? In recent studies, they found that individuals with chronic anxiety had significantly higher plasma levels of copper and very low levels of zinc. Test showed that their anxiety improved significantly with zinc supplementation.
Our Trilogy Zinc Capsules feature a combination of two different forms of zinc to assist in maintaining health and wellbeing. Zinc is crucial for maintaining the structure and integrity of cell membranes and plays an important role in immune function.